Last Updated on March 24, 2023 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Blackened Salmon with Walnut Date Gremolata is truly one of my favorite ways to enjoy salmon.
Its also, for the most part, a sheet pan meal! Who doesn’t love that?
I honestly don’t remember how this idea came to me. I just knew I wanted a sweet and crunchy topping to some blackened salmon. I also wanted it to be fresh and bright in color and in flavor. The gremolata complements the spices of the blackened salmon so well!
How to make blackened salmon with walnut date gremolata
Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Combine the smoked paprika, chili powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder and lemon zest in a bowl and sprinkle it evenly over the salmon.
Add your veggie of choice around the salmon on the sheet pan in a single layer – I chose zucchini because I felt it would cook around the same time it took the salmon to finish.
While the salmon cooks, work on the gremolata. Add all the ingredients to a bowl, mix it up and once the salmon comes out, drape that right on top. It’s AMAZING! A mix of textures, bright and fresh flavor from the citrus and the perfect sweetness from the dates that compliment the blackened seasoning.
When you make this Blackened salmon with walnut date gremolata, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Blackened Salmon with Walnut Date Gremolata
For the salmon:
- 2 lb salmon I like Atlantic salmon, skin removed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Zest from ½ lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 zucchini cut into batons (thicker julienne cuts) or cut however you’d like
- 1 bulb of garlic sliced in half across the cloves
For the gremolata:
- Heaping ½ cup walnuts
- 5 medjool dates
- ½ bunch parsley
- Zest and juice from ½ lemon
- Zest and juice from ½ orange
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the salmon on top and drizzle with olive oil. In a small bowl, mix the smoked paprika, chili powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic power, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the seasoning over the salmon making sure the entire surface is coated with the mixture.
- Place the halved garlic cut side down and the sliced zucchini around the salmon and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper make sure to give each piece its own room so the veggies can roast rather than steam. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until the salmon is fully cooked through.
- While the salmon is roasting, make the gremolata. Chop the walnuts, cut the medjool dates in small diced and chop the parsley very finely. Place all the chopped ingredients in a small bowl, then add the lemon and orange zest and juice, the olive oil and the salt and pepper. Mix and taste the gremolata adjusting to your taste.
- Remove the salmon from the oven once its fully cooked through and drizzle on the gremolata to each portion or over the entire salmon. Enjoy & Sahtein!