Last Updated on September 17, 2023 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Crockpot chicken tinga burrito bowls are the weeknight meal of all meals!
You can do so much with these from burrito bowls like I pictures, to quesadillas (which if you follow me on Instagram you may have seen me burn…ahh) to tostadas, tortas or even on top of a salad. This chicken is so flavorful and delicious and basically good on anything!
Making these crockpot chicken tinga burrito bowls
To make these crockpot chicken tinga burrito bowls, you’ll need:
Chicken breast (I used boneless skinless here)
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I use 2 so it’s not too spicy for my kids, but use more if you’d like it more spicy)
Use a small blender to make the sauce with the tomatoes, onions, chipotle peppers, cilantro and garlic. Blend until smooth. Add it to the crockpot with the chicken. Let it cook on low for 3 hours or until fully cooked through! Shred it up, add it right back to the crockpot with the juices and serve it up how you like!
More Mexican inspired recipes to try
When you make these crockpot chicken tinga burrito bowls, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also, share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Crockpot Chicken Tinga Burritos
For the sauce:
- 2 tomatoes quartered
- 1 yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce only 2 from the can
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup low sodium or salt free chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
For the chicken:
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the burrito bowls (Use a combination of these that you like):
- Refried or black beans
- Shredded lettuce
- Greek yogurt or crema
- Pickled Carrots & jalapenos
- Tortillas tostadas or tortilla chips
- Start by mixing up the sauce. Use a small blender or food processor to add all the sauce ingredients to the blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, set aside.
- Add the chicken to the crockpot. Season with the oregano, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the diced tomatoes and bay leaves. Pour in the sauce and stir a bit to let it go between each piece of chicken. Set the crockpot to low and cook for 3 hours or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- After 3 hours, remove the chicken to a plate and use 2 forks to shred it up. Add the shredded chicken back to the crockpot to soak up the juices. Assemble your burrito bowl or tostada how you like using the listed ingredients. Enjoy!
For stovetop instructions: Sear the chicken in a skillet with a bit of neutral oil like avocado oil on medium high but don’t fully cook it through. Make the sauce the same way as mentioned above in a blender or food processor. Lower the heat to medium low, add the sauce to the skillet with the chicken. Cover and cook on medium low to low for 45 minutes to an hour or until the chicken is fully cooked through. Shred it up with a fork and serve as mentioned above.