Last Updated on March 12, 2023 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Italian white bean soup with butternut squash and kale. A deliciously cozy and comforting meal yet light and veggie packed at the same time. This is the perfect fall or winter soup.
Tons of veggies come together in this flavorful pot and a special ingredient is used to add more richness – a parmesan rind! I always keep parmesan rinds in my freezer after I finish grating a block of Parmigiano Reggiano (in my opinion, if you’re using the rind, it should be Parmigiano Reggiano only and not just Parmesan). Toss them into soups or stews like this and it lends a slight creaminess and savoriness that can’t be achieved from anything else. If you want to keep this soup vegan, just leave out the rind and it will still be delicious.
This cozy lifestyle is basically the trend from here on out for the remainder of the year. But that doesn’t mean we can’t still have a little balance and that’s exactly what this soup is! Live your best fall and winter vibes while still maintaining some energy from the health benefits of this amazing white bean soup.
Making this white bean soup is easy
Chop up all your veggies and cook them down in a pot with some olive oil. Season everything well and add in the tomato paste, broth and parmesan rind. Let this all cook down for 10-15 minutes before adding in the beans (I love using cannellini beans for this soup), kale and swiss chard.
Remove the parmesan rind before serving and make sure to dunk in some crusty bread. Such a weeknight winner! And naturally since this time of year tends to bring some colds here and there, this soup is bound to perk your body right back up!
If you like this Italian white bean soup with butternut squash and kale, you’ll love these
Mediterranean lentil soup – one of the most popular soups on the blog
Turkey pumpkin chili – because pumpkin isn’t just for sweets
End of summer chili – which can really be eaten any time of year
Aush reshteh – A Persian soup filled with beans, greens and herbs
When you make this Italian white bean soup with butternut squash and kale, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Italian White Bean Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 heaping Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 to matoes diced
- 1 ½ cups cubed butternut squash
- 6-8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 parmesan rind optional
- 2 cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch lacinato kale stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 bunch swiss chard stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- Bring a soup pot with the olive oil to medium high heat. Add in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and let them cook down for about a minute. Season with the Italian seasoning, thyme, turmeric, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for another minute before adding in the tomato paste. Mix well.
- Add in the tomatoes to help lift all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot then add in the butternut squash. Cook those veggies down for 1-2 minutes then add in the broth and the parmesan rind.
- Bring to a boil and down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the beans, kale and swiss chard and cook for another 20-25 minutes or until veggies and greens are tender. Remove the parmesan rind and serve!