Last Updated on September 20, 2023 by Jacqueline Rafidi
I 100% consider myself a chocoholic. Whenever I’m at a restaurant and want a dessert, it’s usually something like a molten lava cake or a decadent chocolate torte. But THIS dessert, knafeh, is the only dessert I will choose over any of those. This crunchy, sweet, cheesy dessert takes the cake for me!
This dessert is a major staple in Arab culture, and I’m telling you, ask any Arab what their favorite dessert is.. it’ll most likely be this one!
- Food processor
- Large circle pan with high edges
- 1 package shredded filo dough 16 oz
- 16 oz Sweet cheese
- 12 oz Mozzarella cheese
- 2 sticks butter melted
- knafeh food coloring optional
For the simple syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- -Add sugar to small sauce pan with water and let simmer on medium low over the stove while knafeh is being prepared and cooked
- -Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- -Add 1 teaspoon of knafeh food coloring to melted butter and mix
- -Remove shredded filo dough from packaging and place in large bowl. Begin to break apart with your hands and use kitchen scissors or a knife to cut the dough into small shreds
- -Once dough is in small shreds, add the melted butter with the food coloring and allow to fully saturate the shredded filo dough, set aside
- -Slice sweet cheese and mozzarella cheese into small cubes and add to food processor. Pulse until all cheese is in small crumbles. Set aside
- -Add a thin layer of shredded filo dough to the bottom of your circle pan, making sure every inch is covered. Add a all of the cheese crumbles in an even layer for then middle layer of the dessert. Add the rest of the shredded filo dough in an even layer on top, making sure all the cheese crumbles are covered
- -Place in middle rack of oven for 30-35 minutes or until edges are golden brown
- -Remove simple syrup from heat once it has thickened and begins to bubble. Add the lemon juice to remove any crystalization
- -Remove knafeh from oven and serve, adding a small amount of simple syrup to each piece. Enjoy!