Last Updated on March 12, 2023 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Ever had a pulled mushroom sandwich? They’re only the BEST vegan sandwiches of all time. This simple veggie sandwich can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner and is sure to satisfy your cravings and keep you feeling full till your next meal!
Pulled Mushroom Sandwich
For this sandwich, I used king trumpet mushrooms which have a long stem. You could also chop up any other mushroom and make it the same exact way. I just found that when you shred the long stem of the trumpet mushroom, it sort of resembles shredded chicken or pulled pork. This pulled mushroom sandwich really looks like the real deal when you make it with the trumpet mushrooms!
When I made this, I didn’t really want it to be like a barbeque chicken sandwich that’s saucy and served hot. Instead, I wanted a sandwich with the warm, crispy mushrooms and TONS of crisp, cold veggies. I wanted the perfect bread, definitely alfalfa sprouts (which I LOVE) and some other ingredients that make this as delicious as it is.
The first thing you want to do is cook up those mushrooms so that they’re crispy and caramelized. That step really makes this sandwich what it is. Toast up the bread with some olive oil and then we can assemble!
What you’ll need
Rustic bread: I got a bag with a couple loaves from Costco and sliced them on a hard bias so there is more surface area to fill
Mushrooms: King trumpet mushrooms are used here for the best texture
Toum garlic sauce: This takes the place of mayo and happily so since it has an AMAZING garlicky flavor
Vegan pesto sauce: I found mine at Trader Joe’s, but you could also make it yourself or use a traditional pesto as well.
Veggies: You want a combination of flavors, colors and textures. So I used avocado for creaminess, lettuce for crunch, tomatoes for juiciness, alfalfa sprouts for a peppery bite and more texture, cucumber for freshness, jalapenos if you want some spiciness, pickles if you’d like some acid.
Assembling the sandwich
To assemble the pulled mushroom sandwich, start with one of the toasted pieces of bread and spread on the toum garlic sauce. Add on the sliced avocados, the pulled mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts and any other veggies you choose to add. Spread the top bread slice with that vegan pesto, top off the sandwich and cut that baby in half to reveal the beautiful layers. This pulled mushroom sandwich is LEGIT.
Looking for more sandwiches?
When you make this pulled mushroom sandwich, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Pulled Mushroom Sandwiches
For the mushrooms:
- 2 king trumpet mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning I use a salt free one
- 2 Tablespoons barbeque sauce
- Salt to taste
- Avocado oil for cooking
For the sandwich:
- Rustic bread sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 cucumber sliced
- Alfalfa sprouts
- 1 avocado sliced
- Romaine lettuce
- Vegan pesto
- Toum garlic sauce
- Start by shredding the mushrooms with a fork so that you’re left with something that resembles shredded chicken. Add it to a bowl along with the all purpose seasoning, barbeque sauce and salt and toss it all together.
- Heat a skillet with the avocado oil to medium high heat. Add the mushrooms, in batches if needed, and cook down until crispy and caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside while working on the rest of the components.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the slices of bread and toast until crispy yet still soft in the center. Once the bread is ready, assemble your sandwiches. Spread some toum garlic to one slice of bread, add the mushrooms and remaining sandwich ingredients in your desired order, spread some vegan pesto on the opposite slice of bread and place it on top. Slice in half and enjoy!