Last Updated on February 19, 2023 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Steak teriyaki bowls are a simple weeknight meal filled with inviting color and savory flavors.
One of my favorite parts of this bowl is the sauce. These steak teriyaki bowls have the BEST teriyaki sauce. Lots of times, you’ll find the sauce is thickened with corn starch. In this recipe, we cook down some soy sauce with mirin, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and a touch of dark soy sauce. This keeps the sauce wavy and thick enough to coat a spoon, but not gloopy.
How to make steak teriyaki bowls
Slice up the steak thinly and cook over high heat to get a nice crust over each side of the meat. Cook up the veggies so they’re softened but still have a good crunch.
Make the fluffy white rice and the savory teriyaki sauce. Add all the components to a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. I love to use kimchi, pickled ginger, green onions, furikake, pickled daikon and furikake.
Don’t be surprised if these bowls end up in your weekly rotation. By the way, if you can’t tell, I’ve been loving these bowl recipes and plan to share more because it looks like you all enjoy them too! If you have requests for something in bowl form you’d like to see, message me on social media or share it in the comment section below!
More Asian inspired recipes to try!
When you make these steak teriyaki bowls, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Steak Teriyaki Bowls
For the steak and veggies:
- Avocado oil for cooking
- 2 lb thin rib eye steaks fat trimmed, meat cut into thin strips
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced on a bias
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 large head broccoli cut into florets
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the teriyaki sauce:
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 Tablespoons dark soy sauce optional
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- ½ inch fresh ginger peeled and grated
- Steamed white rice
- Furikake seasoning
- Pickled ginger
- Chopped green onions
- Pickled daikon
- Start by cooking your rice according to package directions. While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the components
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the steak in batches, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook until a brown crust forms on each side – about 3 minutes each side. Remove to a plate and continue with the next batch.
- Next, add the mushrooms along with a touch more oil if needed. Cook until golden on both sides and all the liquid has evaporated. Remove to a plate. Lower the heat to medium, add in the carrots, cook until just slightly softened with golden edges. Remove to a plate. Add in the broccoli, cook until the broccoli develops a bit of color, then add about ¼ cup water to the skillet to help the broccoli steam and soften.
- To a small pot, add all the teriyaki sauce ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil and let it thicken to coat a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the bowls starting with the steamed rice, top with the steak and veggies, drizzle on the teriyaki sauce and add your desired toppings. Enjoy!