Last Updated on August 7, 2022 by Jacqueline Rafidi
IHOP who?! This recipe will give you the best fluffy pancakes ever! The secret is all in whipping the egg whites. I’m typically not one for adding an extra step in my recipes unless I truly think it makes a difference. I’ve done this recipe both ways – with and without whipping the egg whites. They’re both delicious – BUT if you want that extra flufffff in each bite, whip up those eggs whites!
I call these the best fluffy pancakes for good reason. I simply have never made a better one! I’ve tried many combinations and tested this recipe and landed on this combination of ingredients that I’m so happy with! We recently bought a Blackstone griddle which I LOVE making these on. An indoor griddle, cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet would also work well to achieve the best fluffy pancakes. Serve this with some fresh fruit, good quality maple syrup, and some eggs and other traditional breakfast items for good measure.
The best fluffy pancakes don’t require too many ingredients:
Buttermilk: But since I don’t always have it on hand, I will usually substitute for whole milk + lemon juice. It’s important to let this mixture sit. Since I usually have 2% milk vs whole milk for my toddler son, I’ll mix that with a bit of heavy cream to get more of a whole milk texture before adding the lemon juice.
All purpose flour: Which is what I always use. I haven’t tested this recipe with gluten free or any other flour, so if you do, leave a comment down below to let me and others know how it turns out!
Eggs: The way the eggs are used in this recipe makes all the difference! Although this recipe is delicious both ways, whipping the egg whites creates a lighter and fluffier texture.
Granulated sugar: I don’t like to add too much here. In fact, you can even decrease it from 3 Tablespoons if you choose or try a different sweetener of choice.
Vanilla extract: Vanilla bean paste would be delicious too.
Butter: I’m sure a non dairy butter would work well here too!
Baking powder, baking soda, salt: For flavor and texture.
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Try these!
Vanilla bean French toast
Black bean and mushroom breakfast tacos
Pumpkin almond croissants
Raspberry white chocolate muffins
Baklava cinnamon rolls
Arab breakfast strata
Knafeh french toast
As always, if you make these fluffy pancakes, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
The BEST fluffy pancakes
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk can substitute for 1 1/3 cup milk with 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice – let sit 5 min)
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs whites and yolks separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted, plus more for cooking the pancakes
- If you’re using milk and lemon juice instead of buttermilk, combine the two now and let it sit while preparing the rest of the batter.
- Add the egg whites to a bowl and whip them up using a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix well before adding in the buttermilk or milk + lemon mixture, egg yolks, vanilla extract and melted butter. Use a whisk to combine the wet and dry ingredients well. Gently fold in the whipped egg whites – be careful not to overmix at this point, it could deflate the egg whites and leave you with a less fluffy batter.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat, add a couple tablespoons of butter to the cooking surface and pour on the batter – I use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup per pancake. Let it cook until bubbles begin to form in the center of the pancake and the bottom looks golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through. Continue with the rest of the batter adding more butter to the skillet if it dries. Enjoy with some melted butter and a drizzle of maple syrup!