Last Updated on December 4, 2022 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Just like the ball of chocolate orange slices we all love, these gooey chocolate orange cookies bring a little nostalgia to the table.
I used to love those little chocolate balls of orange slices. I would get SO excited when my parents would bring one home. I would slam it on the table as hard as I could to get those orange slices to fall out easily. I would only get one or two, but when my parents would do it they would all perfectly drape down.
Chocolate mint and chocolate orange have been two of my favorite flavors since I was a kid. My chocolate orange ghraybeh cookies are another recipe where I showcase this delicious combo. Even till now I gravitate to those flavors more than others. But most especially during the holiday season!
These gooey chocolate orange cookies have been a long time coming! I would make these years ago and send them with my husband to work. They were a favorite among his team in the ER. I hadn’t made them in a while then recently stumbled upon my written recipe and was SO EXCITED to make them again! I tested them a few different ways and came up with this final recipe which is exactly how I liked them.
What makes these gooey chocolate orange cookies stand out!
Fresh orange zest gives these gooey chocolate orange cookies a beautiful scent and a hint of orange flavor that works perfectly in the dough. I like to also add 1 teaspoon or orange extract as well to make it just a bit stronger. It can be left out, but I highly recommend adding it to reinforce that flavor here!
This cookie uses all the same culprits you’d find in most cookies. As usual, the ratio is what makes all the difference. Luckily, they also don’t need too much chilling time! Which means you can get your cookies that much sooner!
I use brown and white sugar for a bit of chewiness, chocolate chips for the gooeyness and cocoa powder for that decadence. Finishing them off with orange zest adds a beautiful fragrance and a nice bright color against the dark chocolate.
I hope you give these a try, you’re going to LOVE them! I’ve been wanting to share these for so long and happy that you now get to experience these for yourselves!
When you make these gooey chocolate orange cookies, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Gooey Chocolate Orange Cookies
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, room temp
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Zest from 1 an orange split
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips I like to use bittersweet but semi sweet also works
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or a large mixing bowl, combine the room temperature butter and both sugars. Cream them together well, then add in the eggs vanilla and orange extracts and zest from ½ the orange. Mix everything until well incorporated.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix halfway, then add in the chocolate chips. Mix well from the bottom one last time, then cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Once the oven is preheated, remove the dough from the fridge and use a cookie scoop to place balls of dough on the baking sheet. For a 1 Tablespoon size cookie, bake for 10 minutes. For a 2 Tablespoon cookie, bake for 13-14 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven, sprinkle with fresh orange zest, let rest for 5 minutes and enjoy!