Last Updated on June 8, 2023 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Tortellini salad with pesto vinaigrette is the salad you need all spring and summer
This simple, summery salad is perfect for on the go, to take to the beach or picnic or even as an easy work lunch. It really just gets better and better as it sits and sometimes I find myself hovering over a Tupperware of this tortellini pasta salad straight out of the fridge just snacking on a few bites. It’s SO satisfying! And if you happen to have some cut up watermelon on hand too? Omg wow. Straight up summer vibes and I’m here for it!
Tortellini salad with pesto vinaigrette
The components are simple
The tortellini: I use a dry cheese tortellini here. Barilla is usually accessible where I’m at. They tend to be smaller and fit well in this salad since they’re more bite size like the rest of the ingredients.
The veggies & mozzarella: Always seasonal and colorful. My favorites for this tortellini salad are heirloom cherry tomatoes for color and acidity, sweet and plump summer corn which adds the PERFECT juicy bite and is probably my favorite part of this whole salad, and arugula for a peppery and slightly bitter bite. Its simple and just how I like it. The mozzarella adds a nice chew and contrast to the fresh veggies.
The vinaigrette: Prepared pesto and red wine vinegar is all you need to make this dressing. The pesto already has everything you need in a traditional vinaigrette. The oil, herbs, salt (also saltiness from Parmigiano) and also adds a beautiful color. My main suggestion is to use a prepared pesto from the fridge section and not a shelf stable one – these ingredients don’t belong on a shelf of an extended period of time. Also, check to make sure the ingredients are simple. Costco makes a great one, so does Trader Joe’s.
More Salads to love!
When you make this tortellini salad with pesto vinaigrette, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also, share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Tortellini Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette
- 3 cups dried cheese tortellini 1 – 12oz package
- 2 ears corn
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes quartered
- 8 oz mozzarella pearls
- 5 oz baby arugula
For the dressing
- 3-4 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a large pot filled with boiling water, add in the 2 ears of corn. Let boil until fully cooked and kernels are plump.
- Remove corn kernels from water and set aside. Add tortellini to the same water and cook according to package instructions. Once fully cooked, either let cool fully or rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the arugula, quartered heirloom cherry tomatoes and mozzarella pears. Cut the kernels off the cob an add to the bowl along with the cooked tortellini. Combine the pesto with the vinegar to create the dressing and add to the bowl. Eat as is or let set in fridge for at least 15 minutes. I love eating this with watermelon on the side. Enjoy, Sahtein!