Last Updated on August 18, 2022 by Jacqueline Rafidi
Carne asada tacos are a favorite among true taco lovers. Being from San Diego, I have a fierce love for some quality tacos – the kind you get from a hole in the wall spot that makes their own tortillas.
Carne asada means “grilled meat”, these are also sometimes known as steak tacos depending on where you’re from. These carne asada tacos have a simple and flavorful marinade with orange and lime juice which help tenderize the meat, onions, cilantro and garlic, and a few spices which add extra flavor. You don’t need much more than that, the flavor of the meat itself should really shine.
The kind of meat you use makes all the difference – skirt steak tends to work the best, with flank steak as a close second option. I love cooking these on the grill or on my Blackstone griddle, starting on high heat to develop a sear and cooking for a few minutes on each side until desired doneness.
These carne asada tacos are best served with charred corn or flour tortillas, pico de gallo, avocado slices, finely chopped onion and cilantro, and salsas of choice. Additionally you could use some pickled carrots and jalapenos (my FAVE!), cotija cheese, sliced raddish, crema or sour cream (I tend to prefer Greek yogurt and usually have that on hand anyways) and other salsas of choice. You’re going to absolutely love these carne asada tacos!
Love carne asada tacos? Try these tacos as well!
Try these other Mexican inspired recipes!
As always, if you make these carne asada tacos, comment down below and rate this recipe to let me know your thoughts! Also share a picture or tag me on Instagram @thebitewithjackie, I love seeing your remakes!
Carne Asada Tacos
- 2 lb skirt steak
- 1/2 bunch cilantro very roughly chopped
- Juice from one orange about 1/4 – 1/3 cup
- Juice from one lime about 1/4 cup
- 1 medium onion cut into large slices
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortillas of choice
- Finely chopped cilantro and onions
- Lime slices
- Pickled carrots and jalapenos
- Cotija cheese
- Start making the marinade by combining the orange and lime juice, grated garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
- Prepare the steak and remove some of the fat if needed. Add it to a bowl along with the cilantro and onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the marinade on top making sure that each piece of the meat is saturated. Cover and let it sit for 1 hour to overnight.
- When you're ready to cook, heat a grill, skillet or griddle to high heat. Remove most of the large pieces of onion and cilantro and add the meat directly to the hot cooking surface. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a nice crust is formed and it's cooked to desired doneness. Remove from heat and let the meat rest for 5 minutes. cut into slices or cubes against the grain and serve in tacos, burritos, with chips or with rice and beans. Enjoy!